Tuesday, September 8, 2009

New Series: The Cooperative Program

Southern Baptists are thinking and talking more and more intensely about the Cooperative Program these days. Also, we presently have a reorganization task force examining the mechanisms of our convention and prayerfully seeking God's wisdom for our future as an association of churches. It seems to me a prime opportunity to launch a series of posts dealing with the Cooperative Program—the story of its origin, its simple genius, the manner in which it has shaped not only the effectiveness but also the theology of the SBC and our institutions, the reasons why it still remains the best future for funding Southern Baptist ministries. I will also examine present challenges for the Cooperative Program as well as how I believe that we Southern Baptists can overcome them and strengthen our present cooperative work.

6 comments:

Andrew said...

I look forward to your posts on the Cooperative Program...I have been slowly (whenever I find the time) working on a paper about the Cooperative Program's original goals...and how we have failed to reach them. Your insight on this topic would be important for the discussion we as SBC are having...

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to your posts on the CP. I have plans in the near future to do some in-depth study on the purpose and intent of the CP with our peopleon Sunday night. Your input and insight will be very helpful. Thanks for being an encouragement to us pastors.

Steven

WesInTex said...

Bart,

Thanks in advance for your posts on this subject. Certainly it would be timely for us to remember what gave birth to the CP and what it's original purpose was. I look forward to reading what you have to offer us.

CB Scott said...

happy-happy-joy-joy

Baptist Theologue (Mike Morris) said...

The year 1925 was a great one for Southern Baptists. The Cooperative Program and the first official confession of faith for the SBC were both passed at the convention hall in Memphis.

Ivan said...

Good stuff. Looking forward. The first entry was very informative. I'm reading with hope in my heart.