Sunday, October 1, 2006

The Lighter Side of the Joshua Convergence

If you want a more serious take on the recent meeting in Orlando (which I enjoyed greatly), then look here and here.

As for me, I hope to give a somewhat lighter side view of our get-together.
  • The folks who put the meeting together are obviously qualified to run the SBC. How do I know? Becuase in the forty-eight hours before we met, the name changed from "Generation Joshua" to "The Joshua Convergence." Obviously, these guys are well-qualified to direct the Annuity Board/Guidestone/Flintstone, the Sunday School Board/Lifeway/HighWeigh, the Foreign Mission Board/International Mission Board/Extraterrestrial Mission Board, and (my personal favorite) the Domestic Mission Board/Domestic & Indian Mission Board/Domestic & Indian Mission & Sunday School Board/Home Mission Board/North American Mission Board/Norteamericano Mision Board.
  • They're Great with Photoshop! I'm sending in a picture of myself to the Joshua Convergence leadership—I want them to do to mine whatever they did to Dr. Emir Caner's! We really would look like younger pastors if we could all get that treatment.
  • Local Restaurants Speak Up! The dining establishments in the Orlando area have apparently asked Bro. Anthony George to hold a joint conference with folks who disagree with the Principles of Affirmation—Habaneros apparently sold no alcohol at all to the Joshua Convergence crew and thinks they could achieve higher margins if a more diverse crowd were to attend.
In all seriousness, I was greatly impressed by everything that happened during the meeting. I specifically want to thank the organizers for two things that were important to me. First, I'm glad that we added the statement on identity to the Principles in the eleventh hour. Dr. Caner did a great job preaching to that one, in my opinion. Second, I'm really glad that our forum discussion was open to serious questions about the SBC, but modeled how to conduct them within a framework of gratitude and respect for those who have gone before us.

It was a great event. I'm thankful that I was able to arrange things to go.

By the way...

I have finally caught up, I think, with your comments. If I've missed you, comment again and I'll get back to you. I really do apologize for the rudeness of my recent absence. I shall try to do better.

No comments: