Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Defeat out of the Jaws of Victory

Not long ago I posted a scenario for Republican defeat in November. Today I wish to post one possible recipe by which the Democrat Party could destroy their own chances for success.

If Barack Hussein Obama wins the primary race, even if only barely so, and if Hillary Rodham Clinton consequently takes the nomination by invoking superdelegates in a brokered convention, then I believe that Mrs. Clinton will have made a tactical error. Although she will retain the votes of those Democrats who could not countenance pulling any other lever (how long until that phrase is viewed as archaic?), I don't believe that any Democrat nominated under such circumstances could count on any Independent or crossover votes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see that scenario developing. The Democrats have their ticket picked, it is just a matter of which name will be at the top. The only chance I see for McCain is to pick Huckabee as his running mate. If he doesn't do that for the evangelical wing of the party, he's dead in the water. Of course, as a Huckabee supporter, I may be a bit biased, but the Republicans need to pay attention to the size of the evangelical vote, and what those voters were saying in the primaries. Without Huckabee, or another strong, identifiable candidate with evangelical Christian sympathies, McCain has no chance whatsoever. Even with that support, he has a major, uphill battle and will have to put together a supreme campaign effort.

Dave Miller said...

I was afraid at one point of a Clinton/Obama ticket. However, with Barack ahead, an Obama/clinton ticket seems unlikely.

And, if Hillary wins, it will probably take so much monkey business to make it happen that Barack may not be willign to take the second chair.

I just hope Bart is a prophet and the Dems find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Don't tell anyone, but I am not a big fan of today's democratic leaders!